Monday, December 10, 2012

Have a Better Future

I was told today by a complete stranger that I seem reserved and shy. If you know me, you're probably thinking 'How is that possible?'. Well folks, apparently it is possible. My current boss, also, said that when I first started the job-it was a real worry factor for him since part of the job includes being loud and energetic all day long. In the end, everything worked out, and what do you know? I'm loud and energetic all day long, no problem. Anyone I see after work gets a free pass away from my talkative, outgoing self since I'm completely spent from the day already. They see a much quieter Carissa. (My guy still thinks I talk a lot, though.)

Don't be fooled. I'm still the outgoing, crazy, energetic girl you know or have known. My childhood, youth, and college years have shaped me to who I am today. Not too mention the long year after college graduation that ended up being a huge wake-up call. My relationships have changed me, and so have my friendships (both the ones that lasted AND the ones that didn't). My family is a huge part in who I am today, as well. I was always the one who hated chores. I never wanted to empty the dishwasher or vacuum ever! And now I find myself cleaning every chance I get. Thanks Mom.

Basically, people and experiences change us. They make us better and help us grow. I am different than I was when I was six years old, and caused so much trouble that I got kicked out of Sunday School multiple times. But I am still the same girl on the inside. Just shaped differently.

I have two thoughts for you tonight:
  • Embrace the people and experiences in your life-in each you will find a lesson. 
  • Don't let people or experiences in your past affect your future negatively.
Yes, there are people and experiences I have come across that thankfully have come and gone. And I do treat similar situations in the present with a very guarded heart. Lesson I need to learn: I don't need to put up my guard all the time. It's OK to have learned from the past, but to have a better future. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of this mature adult woman that somehow turned out pretty well despite the flaws of her parents! This is such a great testimonial, Carissa. I'm smiling as I read it. You are quite a lady. I'm glad you're my daughter. Dad.

    ReplyDelete