Thursday, December 6, 2012

Be Loving



I have found yet another The Happiness Project quote to remember. The chapter regarding friendships includes a complete rundown of what to do to make your friendships strong and long-lasting. In this, Rubin includes a page of personal commandments that were sent to her by her readers. One that stuck out to me: Be loving and love will find you. 

There are many challenges every single day in my life and in yours that can make having a loving attitude very hard. I encourage you to fight this battle with me. I have a huge attitude that I try to keep to myself, I'm VERY stubborn, and I sometimes find it hard to be loving. Even if we feel as though we are loving enough, I can almost promise you that you can never love enough. Think about it. There is always something you wish you would've done: sent out Christmas cards the year before, remembered your friend's birthday, showed more affection, kept in touch with those you grew up with, etc. I've caught myself numerous times turning down a grocery isle, seeing someone I know, and turning right back around because I didn't feel like saying hello and engaging in quick conversation. Just pathetic on my part. To others, you ARE what they remember about you. If you are snotty and catty, you will be remembered as that. If you seem uninterested when you run into an old friend, that friend will remember that. If you ditch a birthday party or baby shower you RSVP'd to, that won't be forgotten (at least until the next one). If you lie, you will be remembered as a liar. If you are loving, you will be known as loving. I promise. When I think of old college friends or someone I used to know, I usually remember each person as I left them: college graduation or my last high school soccer game or a run-in with an old friend at Walgreens last week (I usually see someone I know every time I go to Walgreens, no joke). Leave a loving, lasting impression. Be who you want to be remembered as. 

I believe that good things come to good people. Now, I'm not saying that bad things don't happen because they do, inevitably. However, if you are loving, God will bless you with love, whether it be love in your family, friendships, or romantic relationships. If you love, you will be loved. Be loving and love will find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment