Thursday, January 3, 2013

Stay on your game folks!

"Do not accept criticism in your life as a reason to keep you down. That would be like my father quitting preaching because someone disapproves of him or Michael Jordan quitting basketball when he didn't make the team. Stay on your game folks!" 

So true. I recently read something sent to my father that was just plain cruel, and it made me think, what if he listened? What if he listened to criticism and harsh words? I have learned that my father does not react to cruelty. He may take generous consideration, but he will not stop doing what he loves or standing up for what he thinks is right. I used to be a people-pleaser which is someone who makes sure everyone else is happier but their own self. I never wanted to cause trouble or be the center of a problem. And in some ways I'm still like that. But in more ways, I'm becoming an individual. I have opinions, I have thoughts, and most importantly I have reason. I am learning what is healthy and what is not. The poison in my life may be the best thing in your life. Everyone is different and everyone needs a different formula. I am someone who needs grounded people in my life, or at least as many grounded people possible. My guy happens to be very grounded, something I find hard to be. There are many reasons for this such as moving around as a child, learning to adapt to new things, nothing ever staying the same, having all eyes on me at all times as a preacher's kid, high expectations-all of these circumstances make up my eventful, fast-paced life. The formula to keeping my head on straight and having the fullest and healthiest lifestyle possible is probably different than yours. I've seen friends and family who've had divorced families, sibling issues, addictions, whatever the case may be, and they need a different formula to keep their life on track. They may need a certain kind of partner in their life to stay balanced or they may need to be working on a project at all times or they may need to stay away from certain places that promote their addiction. So before you judge anyone, or try to figure out the who, what, when, where, how, and why in their lives, take a step back and recognize that their picture is different than yours. Every individual has different demons, different angels, and a different formula. Remember that next time before passing a judgment. Take any criticism given to you, have grace, and have the courage to keep going.

Side note: I found a lot of success today. I spent the day with myself, getting priorities done, and I didn't drive myself crazy. I tried my best to enjoy the precious time I had with myself that I don't get as often as I should. Score. 

No comments:

Post a Comment